After removing everything from the crank case I cleaned it up with industrial strength degreaser and a pressure wash.
The dipstick guide had a bit of surface rust so that was cleaned up and painted with a couple of coats of black Hammerite.
The oil filler/ breather normally attaches with a pair of bolts but the V series engine had more practical studs. SPOG sell a pair of studs for the A series engine which are easily fitted (with a bit of thread lock for good measure).
The longer stud with the thicker band goes on the off side as there is an alternator mounting plate on that side in addition to the breather.
A new low oil pressure sender was fitted, complete with washer.
This one needed a 22mm spanner.
The oil pressure relief valve piston was liberally coated with fresh oil and inserted.
When fully home the only the nose stands proud of the housing.
The spring sits over the nose of the piston and, as I didn’t have a new copper washer, I annealed the old one by heating it until it was red hot and then letting it cool slowly.
The bolt is a 17mm and I don’t have a tightening torque for this so I went with a good strong tweak with the breaker bar which should be enough to crush the washer slightly.
Another SPOG item is the 3/4″ thread oil filter spigot. A bit of thread lock and this was firmly screwed into the oil filter mounting plate.
With a new o-ring and some sillyfoam sealant the mounting plate was re-attached to the crank case with the two alan bolts.
One of the advantages of the much more common 3/4″ thread is that a sandwich plate can be mounted. In this case I’ve got oil temperature and pressure senders – important information to have available for an air/oil cooled engine.
As I’m planning to fit an electric fuel pump I’ve got a stainless steel blanking plate for the standard, mechanical, fuel pump mounting point. This is important as, without the actuator rod, omitting the fuel pump would leave a hole in the crank case.
After applying a generous amount of high temperature sillyfoam sealant the blanking plate was secured with stainless steel M7 nuts.