The original 2CV fuse box uses glass fuses in a plastic case glued to the firewall at the back of the engine. As long as nothing goes wrong with it this works as well as it needs to but it’s not a solution you’d choose to keep if you were changing things.
As I’ve got a bare wiring loom for my Burton project, and I’ve done the hard work of identifying which connector is which, it was a relatively simple – if time consuming – task to replace each of the old glass fuse terminals with a female blade connector and cover them with an appropriately coloured piece of heat shrink. These then fit onto the male blade terminals of a generic after market fuse box.
Whilst there are only five fuses in a standard 2CV fuse box I’ve gone for eight as that gives me room to add fuses for some of the additional circuits I’m going to be adding – notably an electric fuel pump.
Whilst still not objectively easy, having a stripped wiring loom makes it significantly easier to identify which connector is which. To start with I’ll need the ignition and starter circuits so I can run the engine but having five holes in the wiring loom where the fuses are supposed to go makes figuring out what’s what more difficult than needs be.
So, after an evening probing around with a multimeter I’ve now identified both ends of all five fuses and which of those ends match up.
To make my life easier I have numbered them from 1 to 5:
Instruments, indicator, wipers, alternator field (16A)
Stop, interior and hazard lights (16A)
Near side running lights (10A)
Fog light (16A)
Off side running lights (10A)
Next step will to be connect these up to a blade fuse box which will make life significantly easier and allow for fusing additional circuits.
After the initial de-clarting of the tinware I now moved on to trying to clean them up further. However, after the best part of a day (or what passes for daylight hours at this time of year) with various abrasives and power tools I’d not made much more than an impact on the surface.
As this has now sucked more than enough of my time I’ve opted to pay to have them sand blasted.
In the mean time I’ve picked up a new set of fixings to hold it all together when it’s done.
As I’d blanked off the mechanical fuel pump mounting I needed an electric fuel pump. This came in the form of a Hucco 133010 engine mounted (suction) pump that can deliver the 2.6-2.9 psi specified in the Citroen Workshop Manual for the fuel system.
For safety I have also got an inertia cut-out that will isolate the fuel pump in the event of an impact to minimise the risk of fuel being pumped out of a split or disconnected fuel line in the engine bay.
I’ve got some Dyane tinware for the Burton engine, this has the “back end of a horse power” forced induction take off and the cylinder covers are metal rather than whatever it is the later 2CVs used. However, it’s seen better days so needs some renovation.
First off the engine mounts needed removing with the aid of heat, Super Crack Ultra, and an impact driver. With that done I’ve declarted them using pound shop oven cleaner.
Next step will be to give them a thorough going over with various grades of abrasive.
Orkney’s mainland has very good EV infrastructure, not really surprising when there are so many wind generators round the island and if you’re driving for more than 30 miles you’re either going back on yourself or you’re in the sea.
As well as the usual suspects in the form of many Nissan Leafs and the occasional Tesla I have seen a few of both PSA flavours of the Mitubishi i-MiEV EV – normally a very rare sight.
Fully Charged has been to Orkney and is covering the renewable technology.
I was doing a bit of tidying up work on the fuel tank which involves inserting some bolts vertically upwards. The problem with this – as I learned before – is that, under the influence of gravity, they will drop back into the socket which doesn’t leave enough thread protruding to bite into the nut.
Following the principle of the sump plug socket I put a slice of fuel hose into an 11mm socket.
The bolt now sits on top of the fuel hose with the full amount of thread available.
Although someone had painted the heads silver, the original rear wing retaining screws were rusty – to the point one had seized fast and had to be cut out when we took the wings off during the rechassis.